Sunday, January 3, 2010

What is JOY worth?



"Sometimes your joy is the source of your smile, but sometimes your smile can be the source of your joy"
Thich Nhat Hanh

Picture this; you stop for a cup of coffee, tired from a long day followed by a short night, stressed and in a hurry - you just need that cup of joe. Which cup of coffee is more likely to set your world right, the one handed you by a blank-faced, perfunctory server who is "nice enough" or the one served by someone whose smile is genuine and whose face is alight with joy?

During a recent coaching session a friend, fellow coach and client of many years confessed to me that she still struggles with charging a fee for coaching because it brings HER so much joy.

So I asked her "what is a coach who does not bring joy into the relationship worth?" She admitted that would have very little value. "So then," I challenged her, "you would have to agree that it stands to reason that, assuming their skills and talents were similar, a coach who brought tremendous joy into the relationship would be worth proportionately more?"

Yes, she agreed, that seemed reasonable. Uh huh - I let that sink in for a few moments.

While coaching another good friend; author, speaker and interrogator extraordinaire, "Hello My Name is Scott" Ginsberg (whose 10th book is about to become available and he's not yet 30!) this summer we talked about all the things that he had NOT been doing because of a situation in his life - things that brought him joy. He made a plan to reengage with those activities and coined the phrase "triggers for joy." He soon "reported in" that "pulling his triggers for joy" let him break through what might have been a roadblock in record time.

In my keynote; "What is YOUR light: Connecting Passion, Purpose and Presence" I suggest that audiences connect with their personal passion and purpose to project a powerful presence, a presence that resonates with joy. That presence and the clarity of the message behind it can transform a person, a career or a business more quickly and more sustainably than any other factor.

In my last post, "So you say you made a resolution", I suggested that New Year's resolutions and goals that are grounded in things that bring YOU joy are more likely keep you moving forward toward your objectives.

In fact, I suggested that you focus on "outcomes that make you dance a jig and turn crazy cartwheels on the landscape of your mind."

BUT - Remember that joy needn't BEGIN with your business or your professional goals in order to BENEFIT your business or professional goals. That server whose attitude lifted your spirits before you even took a sip of that morning coffee may not have ENJOYED her tasks but she had a joy that she brought with her into her job. And her joy, regardless of the source, made her more valuable to your morning and therefore, to her employers, than the server who was simply performing her tasks and being "nice enough." Certainly "triggers for joy" that can be pulled by things you do in your work are powerful in building your value but living a life that allows you to experience joy adds to your net worth, regardless of the type of work you do.

In The Go-Giver, authors Bob Burg and John David Mann share the Law of Authenticity; "The most valuable gift you have to offer is yourself." How do you make that gift MORE valuable? Add joy. Because joy cannot be faked. Enthusiasm can be faked, but joy, by its very nature, must be authentic.

Do you know what brings you joy? What makes your heart sing and ignites your inner fire?

I have realized that for me it is witnessing transformation. I experience that joy when I see a smile dawn on someone's face, when I see a rose bush come into bloom, when I see the seasons change the landscape and when I see a client whose inner fire shows in their presence and when their business growth reflects the power that they are using to transform themselves. I connect to it though dialog, through music, through long walks, through networking, through meditation and through writing. I am privileged to have clients who are seeking to transform their professional success through personal transformation and who will let me partner with them in that process - that brings me the greatest joy of all.

So that is where I began my resolutions and goals for the new year, with a Joy List.

My Joy List:

In 2010 I will...

Make more people smile
Plant more roses
Take more walks
Play more music
Write more poetry
Reach more clients
Be more aware of the transformations that happen every minute of every day

What is on YOUR joy list? How will you ignite your fire in 2010?

"A Mini Dose of Dynamite" - a free monthly mastermind call - will launch January 20th. If you want to know more send me an email at Dixie@PureSynchrony.com.


6 comments:

  1. Encourage more people
    Share more smiles
    Read more books
    Write more stories
    Hug more
    Break bread with more people

    Great idea for a post.
    Thanks,
    Todd aka @tojosan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dixie, your coaching client said that she still struggles with charging a fee for her work because
    it brings her so much joy.

    Your response to her was so perfect, I would ask anyone who has similar feelings about charging a fee for work they love to print out your answer, put it somewhere where they can see it, and read it over again and again and again.

    Brilliant!

    Bob

    ReplyDelete
  3. Todd - I love that list. Go to it and you're going to bring joy to a LOT of people!

    Bob - Yeah, that was one of those "teach that ye may learn" moments. Maybe I need to post that on MY inspiration board!

    Thanks guys!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I will in 2010 -
    Give - follow my in line at the coffee shop.
    Give free smiles to everyone - no return policy required.
    Listen to music - A good face melting once in awhile.
    See my kids smile - need I explain
    Give hugs - If you meet me you will get one.

    Happy10

    ReplyDelete
  5. My joy list for 2010

    Defy gravity - every day in all areas of my life!

    Complete my transformation to author, consultant and speaker - the life of my dreams!

    Touch more clients to define their best growth plan, leveraging my book - Defying Gravity

    Spend more time with my friends and less time on my own.

    Think small - helping others every day in every way I can instead of waiting for the big bang.

    Accept the life of my dreams as a gift from the Universe - something I deserve and welcome.

    Treat each day as a holiday, sharing my joy with those around me.

    Ride more horses

    Ski more days

    Laugh at myself every day -I always have fodder for a giggle:)

    GREAT post and thanks for getting me thinking about something besides finishing the book today.

    Lov ya Dix!

    reb

    ReplyDelete
  6. Bruce - I know you're going to ROCK that list because you're the kind of guy who can without having to even think about it. It's what makes you perfect for what you do - taking care of other peoples "little stuff" adds up BIG.

    Rebel - this is YOUR year. I can feel it in your tweets and blog posts. You're that perfect combo of seasoned and rarin to go! Experience and enthusiasm! Defy Gravity is right! Soar!

    ReplyDelete