Tuesday, September 22, 2009

What Lights Your Fire?

Do you ever ask yourself why some people seem to burn more brightly, stay fired up longer, bounce back faster, accomplish more and have more fun doing it? Like the bush that burned but was not consumed, they seem to burn the candle at both ends and come back shining brighter than ever before.

Let me guess, you’re thinking “those are the people who are really passionate”, right? I would agree the “fire” begins with passion, the wellspring of energy. In a previous post about tapping into that wellspring and understanding passion I explored the connection between passion and joy and suffering.

But at the end of the day what keeps your fire burning? What is the fuel? What gives it shape and direction?

Let’s try this one; Purpose.

From Latin, “pro” before or in front of and “posse” to put or place. Literally then “to place in front of”.

  1. The object toward which one strives or for which something exists
  2. The reason for which anything is done, created or exists
  3. A fixed design or idea that is the object of an action

Conclusion; achieving your purpose requires that you understand your objective or reason and combine it with action or creation.

What do you place before anything else? What objective do you have for striving or creating or taking action? For that matter, what is your reason for being – for continuing to get up every morning and tackle another day? What is your why?

I’ve observed a lot of powerful people who are accomplishing great things (many of them are unsung angels but they still wield a lot of power for good) and the thing I believe they have in common is that they are living their purpose. Whether they have spelled it out in a mission statement or not the consistency with which they create and take action spells it out for them. They burn brighter, stay fired up longer and bounce back faster than your average angel.

About two years ago I started wrestling with creating my purpose statement. It has gone through several transformations and with each revision it resonated a little deeper and a little stronger. Today it acts as my blueprint against which I measure the things I create and the actions I take. I don’t always measure up, but when I do I too burn brighter, stay fired up longer and bounce back faster. I’m no angel – but I’m working on being the best version of my human self possible.

Here is my purpose:

First – To see the world become more connected; with their inner voices, with their best selves, with each other and with their world.
Second – To see people encouraged and empowered to define and pursue success in their own unique way.
Third – To help people stop saying “I can’t” or “you can’t” and begin saying “how can I” and “how can I help you make that happen.”

May your fire burn brightly and forever and may you always honor the fire that burns in every unique individual.


4 comments:

  1. Powerful share. I need to work on my purpose. Sadly I get stuck in ruts too often. Need more 'can' and less 'where can I get the energy'?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living in a world where anything is possible...I really enjoyed the "space" within this space where anyone can create anything. Thank you Dixie for creating the fire everyday!

    Gerry Davidson

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you Todd - I think you don't work ON your purpose so much as you connect to it and work WITH it. I certainly get tired and frustrated and all that but I get less so when what I do is in sync with my purpose and I bounce back faster too. People give so much energy back when I am serving my purpose.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gerry - You are so right - anyone can create anything! We all have the fire, what is beautiful is when we connect with people whose fire feeds our fire and vice versa. Now that is synergy at its most powerful!

    ReplyDelete